It is important to realize that exchange programs by their very nature involve several expenses that cover various essential services and support. The fees of our main programs (1-year or 6-months exchanges), typically include the services listed below
What is included:
- Recruitment, application and selection administration
- General administrative support before departure
- Assistance with visa process
- Pre-departure preparation orientation
- International flights
- International travel & health insurance
- Airport support at departure and arrival
- Placement with a carefully screened and selected volunteer host family
- Selection and preparation of the host family
- Enrollment in a local high school
- Post-arrival, mid-term and re-entry orientations in host country
- Support by designated contact persons
- Professional counselling if needed
- 24h emergency standby.
What is not included:
- Your personal spending money
- Visa processing costs
- Passport costs if you do not have a valid passport
- Excess luggage fees (if required)
- Domestic travel to and from closest international airport of departure from South Africa.
Typical fee structures of YFU exchange programs (2017/18):
- 1-year exchange programs: R70,000 – R100,000
- 6-month exchange programs: R65,000 – R90,000
- Short programs (4-12 weeks): R45,000 – R65,000
- Scholarship aid opportunities available (strict terms and conditions apply, please consult the YFU office).
Where does the money go?
YFU South Africa is a “not for profit” organisation. All program fees are used to cover the costs of providing programs in South Africa and in our partner countries. While the breakdown of costs varies slightly depending on the length of the exchange program, the average breakdown of costs is as follows:
37% of program costs for travel and insurance, including:
- International travel
- Domestic travel to host family in host country
- Airport transfers and assistance with check-in
- Comprehensive travel and medical insurance.
40% of program costs for the placement and support of students in the hosting country, including:
- Recruitment and screening of volunteer host families
- Recruitment and training of local coordinators and support people
- Organisation of school enrolments, arrival, pre-departure and re-entry orientations
- Provision of resource materials and handbooks for students and families
- Contribution to provision of full time professional staff and 24 hour emergency support.
23% of program costs for the recruitment selection of students in South Africa for their exchange program, including:
- Student and family interviews
- Provision of pre-departure orientations and handbooks
- Processing of student applications and liaison with hosting partners
- Maintenance of 24 hour emergency support for parents while student is overseas
- Contribution to general administration costs and the provision of full time professional staff to support students in the application process, and their parents while they are on exchange
*Please request our full programme and fee overview from the YFU office!