Being an exchange student is a rewarding but challenging experience during which you will learn a lot about yourself and have some fun as well. You will be immersed in the language and culture of your chosen country and live like a local member of your family, town or community and gain skills in inter-cultural learning and understanding. Remember you will not be a tourist, you will live like a local!
- Gain a rich understanding of another culture and come to better understand your own culture.
- Learn a new language or significantly improve your current skills in a language through practical immersion.
- Experience the stimulation of completing some of your education in a new and different approach to learning.
- Greater general knowledge and understanding of global issues.
- Gain experience and maturity through the challenges you face on exchange which takes you out of your familiar surroundings and “comfort zone”.
- Develop increased self confidence and a sense of self reliance as a result of your exchange experience.
- Enjoy the excitement of living in another country with the support and security of a host family and sometimes a new set of brothers and sisters.
- Make new friends that will last a life time and who will help you understand the world through “new eyes”.
- Become aware of career and further study options you haven’t thought of before.
- Demonstrate your capacity to cope with change which is increasingly valued by your future employers.
- Experience the benefits of exchange long after you return home as someone who is different from other applicants for employment or further study as you demonstrate the skills you acquired in meeting the challenges of the exchange experience.